Re: Review of 'Use Cases and Requirements for Ontology and API for Media Object 1.0', Working Draft 19 January 2009

Felix Sasaki wrote :
> b) with several abtraction layers we face the challenge of loosing
> simplicity for people who want to implement simple applications (...)

It seems to me that a mean of hiding this complexity for people not
interested in it would be that every *specific* object (e.g. frbr:Item
or bbc:Broadcast) inherits, in the API, the properties of the more
abstracts elements (resp. frbr:Manifestation, bbc:Episode).

So I can ask for the ISBN of an book Item (though this is strictly
speaking a property of the Manifestation), or to which Series a
Broadcast belongs (though this is actually the Episode that belongs to a
Series).

Yves, does that make sense? Do the implementation you are aware of
provide this kind of inheriance/proxy mechanism?

This would imply that users concerned about the different levels could
disable this mechanism in order to only get the strict properties of the
level they are interested in. But it seems to me that it fulfills the
usual requirement:

 make simple things simple, and complex things possible

  pa