Re: Asking for feedback on API design from the Web Browser Community

For Ogg, all metadata is stored in VorbisComment headers and they are
track-specific, not file-specific. There can be file-wide metadata in
the skeleton track, but it's not used widely. Having it track-specific
also helps in keeping it around when segmenting the video into tracks
and recombining with others (e.g. to replace a audio track with a
different language).

ID3 headers are also associated typically with MP3 tracks, I think.

If I understand quicktime/mpeg-4 correctly, user metadata can be both
associated with the complete file (movie) and with tracks - e.g.
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/qa/qa2001/qa1135.html .

I am mostly worried about getting a common metadata interface for
binary media files to use in HTML5 video and audio elements, so Ogg
and H.264 are my largest concern.

Cheers,
Silvia.