Re: Machine-readable license data

Dear Media Annotations WG members,

Please allow me to add some information in relation to the work around
ontologies and digital rights.

I am Jaime Delgado, professor at the Universitat Politècnica de
Catalunya (UPC), in Barcelona, and leader of the DMAG (Distributed
Multimedia Applications Group). You could see my name in the references
given by Tobias and Davy. Other two members of the DMAG, Rubén Tous and
Víctor Rodríguez, have already introduced themselves in the list.

We initially developed the IPROnto ontology, starting in 2001, as an
ontology to include general information about Intellectual Property
Rights. After working for years in several parts of the MPEG-21 standard
we are now heavily involved, as Víctor mentioned, in the specification
of the Media Value Chain Ontology (MVCO), also in the MPEG-21 context.
As Rubén indicated, we are also involved in the MPEG Query Format and
some JPEG initiatives, including use of ontologies.

Just a few news about the status in MPEG and JPEG (I attended both
meetings last week in Korea):
	- The MVCO is ready for balloting to reach the CD (Committee Draft)
status as part 19 of MPEG-21. This means that it is already stable and
has already started its way to be an International ISO standard.
	- JPSearch (a new activity of JPEG) has accepted to have an ontology to
represent a reference metadata schema that will help metadata
interoperability. This is the result of our contribution to that
meeting. We will provide a more detailed contribution to be included in
the standard.

As a conclusion, we think that these two standard activities are very
much related to the goals of this WG, and we plan to contribute to the
Media Annotations group accordingly.

Regards,

	Jaime.