Re: Reminder: Meeting today

On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 10:20 -0700, Arno Gourdol wrote:
> Minutes from the meeting today. Any transcription errors are my own.
>
> Display of math in HTML 5

It took more than a decade for SVG to get supported natively in Web
browsers, so "never" isn't right. The support is neither perfect nor
complete (e.g. browser vendors don't seem to like SMIL animation,
possibly because it reminds them of XML) but it's usable.

If this CG were to come up with a list of the most urgent things
together with some tests (and patches for browsers?) I can see
something happening.

Built-up fences, fractions, stretching characters (e.g. via font
transformation matrix), aligning separate blocks (displayed equations)
on the = sign even if there isn't one, all also have applications
outside mathematics, so having CSS able to do them would make sense to
me.

[...]

> Would be much better to have an API to measure offscreen elements.

To some extent you can do this today, but you can't get at font
metrics, and in particular the math table. There are some privacy
issues, but if it was restricted to downloaded fonts maybe that would
be OK.

A set of proposals for CSS might be something that the CSS WG could
conceivably consider at TPAC.

Liam