RE: Houdini [Was: Minutes of Math on the Web Community Group teleconference of 27 April 2016]

I can certainly understand the reluctance to embrace such interactions. One would have to be very careful not to allow infinite loops where one component adjusts to changes in another, causing adjustments again in the first, and so on.

-----Original Message-----
From: Liam R. E. Quin [mailto:liam@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:00 AM
To: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>; Paul Topping <pault@dessci.com>
Cc: public-mathonwebpages@w3.org
Subject: Re: Houdini [Was: Minutes of Math on the Web Community Group teleconference of 27 April 2016]

On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 15:30 +0900, Florian Rivoal wrote:

> With regards to Houdini, I think a valuable thing to do for this CG
> would be to look at the APIs being proposed in Houdini

+1

An important thing needed for mathematics (and tables) is the ability to inherit properties downwards (no problem in CSS) and sizes back upwards; the ability to break boxes - e.g. when an equation doesn't fit on a line - and to align between equations, e.g. multiple displayed equations with the = signs ligning up vertically, which also affects breaking.

Right now the Houdini drafts place some limits on interactions, partly because the browser developers are afraid of opening up code to scripting that might not be robust against being used in unexpected ways.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)