Re: Reminder: MathML Intent meeting 2 Feb, 2021

Hi Neil, all,

That's a fair summary. For those interested in details, here's a list of
related observations that working with our group seems to have clarified
for me:

1. The "intent" level 1/2/3 lists have a lot of similarity to the wikidata
demo Moritz gave, and as resources can be seen to "induce" CMML content
dictionaries (if one wanted that).

2. We can't assume CMML trees as a given for an arbitrary expression
covered by the spec. As David Carlisle had elucidated, we have no guarantee
of any content tree at all when starting with arbitrary PMML. Additionally,
partial annotation is a design goal to make life easy for
authors/remediators.

3. As far as serializing a content tree in parallel attributes, Bruce's
"semantics-mini" proposal was already a good demonstration that we could do
that if we wanted to.

4. I still think there is something to win with Sam's approach to establish
a "Defaults" add-on, which could auto-remediate raw PMML that is commonly
used in standard K12 math. That add-on *may* also induce full CMML trees at
level 1, still to be determined.

5. We've mentioned on several occasions that certain content
interpretations rely on near-canonical PMML ("correct" mrow structure,
"correct" invisible operators, etc), and I see that as tied to discussing
mathematical "notations". A Defaults proposal that wants to standardize
auto-remediating CMML trees will inevitably need a well-defined grammar of
notations, to go along with the level 1 names.

---

My inclination would be to check the "Defaults" approach in practice - grab
a chapter from a real book and see how many of its equations we can fully
match against a "K12-defaults" set of notations, in the process refining
both the level 1 names and our tree-building rules. If the notations are
clear, we can induce both better speech (where needed) and a full content
tree, but whether there is a "reasonable enough" set of defaults is a math
linguistics question more than anything. E.g. for arXiv there is no
reasonable closed notation set. For a textbook on highschool trigonometry,
there might be.

Greetings,
Deyan