Re: Reminder: MathML Semantics meeting, Thursday 24 Sept

Thanks Deyan. I don't think we can repurpose alttext. I know at least
Design Science used it in one of their products and I think others did
also. I know your proposal is to repurpose it when a functional notation is
used, but that still doesn't seem right.

I did a thesaurus search a few days ago. Here are some things I turned up
and also threw in a few other terms (one as a joke) we talked about in the
past in the hopes that one of them inspires someone:

   - annotation
   - relevant
   - conforms
   - definition
   - meaning
   - significance
   - definition
   - description
   - explanation
   - narration
   - commentary
   - speech
   - apropos
   - insinuation
   - interpretation
   - pertinent
   - concept
   - clarification
   - explanation
   - hint
   - mathrole or mrole

Of these, I like "annotation" and "interpretation" the most (although both
are rather long), followed by "mathrole"/"mrole" (a specialization of
ARIA's "role").

Note: one online dictionary's second meaning for "interpretation" is "an
explanation of the meaning of another's artistic or creative work; an
elucidation". Seems apropos for remediation...

As an alternative to "subject", maybe "context", although I think "subject"
is well understood and "context" is vague as to what values it might want
to take.

    Neil

Virus-free.
www.avg.com