Re: Reminder: MathML Semantics meeting, Thursday 24 Sept

Hi Neil, all,

Names are tricky to brainstorm on the spot, so here's a seeding email with
another direction we haven't discussed (I think?).

I recalled MathML has had "alttext" and "altimg" for some time, exactly for
accessibility purposes. So one suggestion trying to keep with the spirit of
MathML 3 could be to introduce an "alttree" attribute for the tree-like
annotations we have been discussing. Or slightly removed from those
details, maybe "altcontent" ?

An even more conservative take would be to outright use the existing
"alttext", but specify custom handling when its values match our new
annotation syntax.

In a more literary direction, attribute names such as "readout" or
"narration" feel appealing to a point, but may be too detached from the
technical details... I only find them preferable when comparing to
"semantics".

Greetings,
Deyan