Re: MathML Core meeting minutes for 20/5/19

On 21/05/2019 01:41, Neil Soiffer wrote:
> ## Topics for 20/5/19 Meeting
>
> * Check the consensus from previous meeting: numbers #23, mstyle #88
> #89 ; mfenced #2 ()
>

> Neil: I replied on #88/#89 on mstyle (wait for polyfill)
>
> Neil: on #23 resolution was to match css.
> (Neil to check previous minutes)
> (Neil found last reference in minutes:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mathml4/2019May/0006.html.
> In it we postponed a resolution pending a complete search of the the
> spec/schema to see if scriptsizemultiplier and mpadded's attrs are the
> only non-length non-integer values used. If so, then agreement on
> using CSS parsing for values with the exception of mpadded attrs which
> we will get to later [#81].)
>
> Fred: If we agree now to add mstyle attributes. we can start
> implementations.
> Fred: #88 agreed on plan to allow attributes, #89 delay.
>
> Neil: mfenced is used but redundant
> Patrick: redundant for rendering but not possible uses.
> Neil: is mfenced a problem for browser implementation?
> Fred: reviewers may reject it as it duplicates features and firefox
> and webkit implementations of mfenced have issues.
>
> Neil: Brian mentioned before this could be polyfilled via shadow dom
> but general issue that custom elements can't be used for known
> elements... which includes MathML elements.
> Neil: we could discuss this with html wg
> Fred: Brian has started some discussions with other implementers.
>
> Moritz: also not a fan of mfenced as it introduces duplication and so
> complexity.
> Agreed: drop from core.
> Murray: Office apps use mfenced but will need work anyway so not a
> major issue.

The notes are not really clear on these points and I find a bit silly
that we have to spend time to remember the consensus so I'm not going to
add them again on the agenda. My understanding is that:

* For #23, we agreed to align definition of numbers with CSS / HTML5
instead of using our own definition. Probably some changes will have to
be made in several places (scriptlevel, mpadded, RelaxNG schemas) but
that shouldn't be a problem.

* We agree to do #88 but delay #89 until we the polyfill stuff is clear.

* For #2, we agreed to remove mfenced from core.

 I'll remove the "consensus needed" for these github issues, if someone
disagrees we can put it back.

--

Frédéric Wang