Re: para termination

On 28 November 2012 03:06, David J. Weller-Fahy
<dave-lists-public-markdown@weller-fahy.com> wrote:
> * Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> [2012-11-27 03:23 -0500]:
>> On 27 November 2012 04:09, David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-public-markdown@weller-fahy.com> wrote:
>> > I use LF (U+000A), CR (U+000D), and CR+LF (U+000D followed by
>> > U+000A).
>>
>> Which is why I stayed with \n (OS dependent).
>
> Sorry: Not clear - do you mean you object?  Or that it's simpler to use
> \n for now?

Simpler and OS agnostic? Implementations then interpret \n according
to the OS on which they are operating.

>> > I also included some issues about implementation and Unicode support
>> > (not for core, but for thought).
>>
>> I've read nothing about utf-8 and Markdown? Have you seen anything?
>> As you say, not for core though.
>
> I haven't seen anything, and most likely won't.  AFAICT the only areas
> where Markdown may have unexpected interactions with UTF-8 would be
> those areas in which UTF-8 adds characters which mean something that
> Markdown already deals with... that's not very clear (even as I typed
> it), so I'll give an example.
>
> Current JG markdown syntax for paragraphs [1] indicates the paragraph
> ends when one or more blank lines are encountered.  With more people
> using UTF-8, it is possible someone would use line endings which are not
> necessarily checked for by current implementations like NEL (Next Line,
> U+0085).  This could be surprising to someone using that for a line
> ending, when Markdown changes their entire document into one paragraph.
> ;).

Never mind :), how about screaming <grin/>
yes, it is an issue, but for the intermediate profile or even an extension?
I've added to the list.

> However... I don't believe this will be a significant problem, as the
> top three character sequences used (CR, LF, and CR+LF) are pretty much
> the only ones actively used.  Unless we see occurrences of other end of
> line character sequences in the wild, I think we're safe with the EOL
> sequences I defined.

Are you OK to 'shortform' that to \n David?
Do you agree with what's in the wiki
http://www.w3.org/community/markdown/wiki/Syntax_Semantics_Core_Profile
As you say, for core.

regards