Re: para termination

* Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> [2012-11-27 03:23 -0500]:
> On 27 November 2012 04:09, David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-public-markdown@weller-fahy.com> wrote:
> > I use LF (U+000A), CR (U+000D), and CR+LF (U+000D followed by
> > U+000A).
>
> Which is why I stayed with \n (OS dependent).

Sorry: Not clear - do you mean you object?  Or that it's simpler to use
\n for now?

> > I also included some issues about implementation and Unicode support
> > (not for core, but for thought).
>
> I've read nothing about utf-8 and Markdown? Have you seen anything?
> As you say, not for core though.

I haven't seen anything, and most likely won't.  AFAICT the only areas
where Markdown may have unexpected interactions with UTF-8 would be
those areas in which UTF-8 adds characters which mean something that
Markdown already deals with... that's not very clear (even as I typed
it), so I'll give an example.

Current JG markdown syntax for paragraphs [1] indicates the paragraph
ends when one or more blank lines are encountered.  With more people
using UTF-8, it is possible someone would use line endings which are not
necessarily checked for by current implementations like NEL (Next Line,
U+0085).  This could be surprising to someone using that for a line
ending, when Markdown changes their entire document into one paragraph.
;).

[1]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#p

However... I don't believe this will be a significant problem, as the
top three character sequences used (CR, LF, and CR+LF) are pretty much
the only ones actively used.  Unless we see occurrences of other end of
line character sequences in the wild, I think we're safe with the EOL
sequences I defined.

And... as you mentioned, not for core. ;)

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]