Re: header syntax.

On 23 Nov 2012, at 08:32, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 November 2012 19:44, Max Albrecht <1@178.is> wrote:
>>
>> On 22 Nov 2012, at 19:20, Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com> wrote:
>>
>> Beyond that, I feel it would be nice if we could avoid 'invalidating'
>> existing MD content that adheres to the syntax rules specified in that
>> original MD spec.
>>

>> I strongly agree.
>> Disclaimer: I am completely new to this process, but I *think* I understood
>> the 'scope' of the 'baseline' as Dave explained.
>> But: What good is (even a 'baseline') a spec if it breaks the output of
>> existing content?
>
> If we followed that logic we would do nothing, i.e. accept the current
> syntax definition
> and implementations? I assume you mean accepts *all* current syntax.

Nope, I was mainly talking about the headers.

> the baseline/core is intended to support a subset of the current MD spec,
> intending to support that syntax common to most implementations.
> I doubt it is possible to support all implementations due to lax specification
> and different interpretations.

I agree completely, but again: ALL implementations support this per the original spec!
There *are* corner cases and additions to the spec made by some projects, they need to be dealt with.

>> What practical arguments speak against not including it?
>
> Complexity for implementers?

Since there is also the underline-style, any implementation can not just look at the first few characters of a line to parse it.
Also it did not seem to stop any existing implementations… have I mentioned they ALL support it?

>> Wouldn't something along the lines of "An "ATX-Style"* Title can be followed
>> by any number of #-characters" be sufficent?
>
> IMHO that adds to complexity with no advantage.

The advantage would be: Not breaking existing Markdown documents, in a way that is *objectively* ugly (ie. having every title followed by ###s).

Would you also support only suporting *italic* and not _italic_ since it is easier to parse?
Same with lists and code blocks: there are 2 ways to that in (every) Markdown.

 Max