Re: Moving on. A basic para

On 21 November 2012 09:51, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com> wrote:

> Le 21 nov. 2012 à 18:31, Dave Pawson a écrit :
>> http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#p
>>
>> That definition I find confusing. If you can give a syntactic one please try.
>>
>> My attempt.
>> "A paragraph starts in column 1 and continues until two or more newline characters are met."
>

> A paragraph is a string of characters led by
>     0 to 3 SP

Is this to to stop it being interpreted as literal layout?
Seems an unnecessary complication, but agree.

> The paragraph ends with:
>     zero to one SP, RET or EOF
>     zero to any SP, RET

-1 on a para being terminated why ws at the end of a line
(and zero ws can't be right surely?)

+1 on EOF
Define RET please? same as my \n (e.g. 0x0A  for *nix ?)

> It might be better to define the unicode character for SP elsewhere. I haven't tested \n, \n\r etc.

>> Issues:
>>  "End a line with two or more spaces" (to insert a line break in the output format). Retain or remove?
>
> keep.

-1 on complexity grounds? (But +1 on compliance with current MD)
Nothing more annoying than finding a problem with something you 'can't see'?

Karl, this confilicts with your above?

> The paragraph ends with:
>     zero to one SP, RET or EOF
>     zero to any SP, RET"
"

We can't insert a line break and terminate the paragraph with \n?
Here I mean (for the html transform) <br />  for line break.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.