Re: Study: The effect of serifs and stroke contrast on low vision reading

Thank you Laura, that's a very interesting study, and directly echoes my personal viewpoint on this particular subject.

I want to make a note here for anybody that reads this study:

The study uses the term "stroke contrast". It's very important to recognize that in the context that they are using it, stroke-contrast relates to the variation in stroke within a particular glyph.

And the effect is exactly opposite of the actual visual contrast.

In other words in the context of font contrast as in the stroke-contrast within a glyph, e.g. Times New Roman has very high stroke contrast.

But the visual contrast of Times is lower than that of Helvetica. Helvetica, having a uniform stroke width therefore has a low stroke contrast but (perhaps counterintuitively) that results with its visual contrast as higher.

Here's an example: