RE: Text Zoom Challenges and Examples

Hi Andy, in terms of how you arrive at 500% to 600% I’d like to understand in what context (desktop monitor, mobile, size of display and distance etc.) and what resolution.  For me, someone who uses 800x600 on the desktop with a 4:3 ratio ~20 inch monitor 600% will be different from someone who uses a 2k resolution.

Personally I find looking more closely at medium text better than looking farther away at larger text.  Looking closely is sometimes not socially acceptable in current society and thus people with visual impairments are encouraged to use larger text so they can be further away in order to appear “normal”.  While there can be an aspect of enlargement needed for visual acuity or for proper posture – posture can often be accommodated in different ways.

Jonathan

From: Andrew Somers <andy@generaltitles.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 4:44 AM
To: public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org
Subject: Text Zoom Challenges and Examples

Hello LVTF members,

I just revised some examples relating to issues of text resize, reflow, zoom, etc.:

 https://www.myndex.com/WEB/TextZoomExample

It contains some discussion as well, and it is part of the collection of items that need “technology help” in this case, either an extension or native browser support for zooming text not by a  simple percentage, but in a manner that zooms larger text a lesser degree than the smallest text.

These examples also demonstrate why we still need a minimum text size in the standard: for a 16px font, to accommodate low vision, it still needs to be zoomed 500% to 600%. If there were no minimum, an 8px font for instance woul d need to be zoomed as much as 1200% to accommodate low vision needs. Presently browsers can only zoom 300% to 500%.

I think this would be a good topic in a near future meeting.

Thank you,

Andy

Andrew Somers
Senior Color Science Researcher