Re: Metadata On Hover SC Text

Hi Alan,

Nice to hear from you.

On 11/18/16, alands289@gmail.com <alands289@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a quick question. Since the original issue was that on iOS and Zoomtext
> it was an enlarged cursor pointer that was the item that was obscuring the
> title mouse over text, how does the informational content not obscuring
> other content solve that original problem?

It doesn't. That was added for Wayne's use case. But I suspect that
may be addressed in another SC.

> Having the informational content that is available upon hover now be
> required to not be the only means of conveying that information does not
> solve the original problem and introduces further requirements for designers
> and developers and perhaps user agents to find some other means of conveying
> that information for visual users. Because, the main issue is for visual
> users, not screen reader users.

It would solve it for visual users if static on-screen labels were
used in addition to tool tips.

> We have made a simple solution into a complex new requirement for designer
> and developers.

It seems to me a static on-screen label is much simpler than hovering.
Rely on simple copy. A text label is clearer and more accessible.

The title attribute has [1] and currently is [2] for advisory
information not critical information. The HTML5 spec warns authors not
to rely on it. WCAG 2.1 would be bolstering that.

If the examples in the screenshots [3],[4],[5],[6], [7],had had a text
label, the Cursor Overlapping Tooltip Text on Hover would be a
non-issue.

> Stating that “the hover text not be covered over by the cursor” is the
> simplest wording for fixing the original issue.

That could work too but it would need to be stated in a positive
statement. And I suspect the WCAG WG would push it off to silver,
resulting in people with disabilities not being helped in the near
term.

Kindest Regards,
Laura

[1]  https://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.3