Graphics contrast

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 16:56:44 +0000
To: LVTF - low-vision-a11y <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Hi Everyone,

Immediately after the call I started putting Glenda’s update to the SC text in, and whilst doing that the similarity with the current 1.4.3 sprang to mind.

How about aligning more closely with 1.4.3?

----------------
The visual presentation of important information in graphical elements has a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1 against the immediate surrounding background, except for the following:

  *   Thicker lines: where the minimum width of the line is at least 3px the graphic has a contrast ratio of at least 3:1;
  *   Incidental: Graphical elements that are not required for the understanding of the graphic, that are pure decoration, that have the information duplicated elsewhere on the same page have no contrast requirement;
  *   Logotypes: Graphics that are part of a logo or brand name have no minimum contrast requirement.
----------------

I went with “graphical elements” to open up the further description to sub-graphics, e.g. a line in an info-graphic is a graphical element, and if it is important then it should have contrast against its surroundings.

As I said, if anyone has particularly good/bad examples of graphics please send them to me and I’ll try testing this against them.

-Alastair

--

Alastair Campbell

www.nomensa.com
tel: +44 (0)117 929 7333 / 07970 879 653
follow us: @we_are_nomensa or me: @alastc

Nomensa Ltd. King William House, 13 Queen Square, Bristol BS1 4NT
Company number: 4214477 | UK VAT registration: GB 771727411