Re: lvtf-ACTION-44: Do fact check on WHO estimates

from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs282/en/
285 million people are estimated to be visually impaired worldwide: 39
million are blind and 246 have low vision.
doing the math:
low vision as percentage of visually impaired population 285/246 = 86.32 or
86%
blind as a percentage of visually impaired population 39/285 = 13.68 or 14%

statement should read
"(WHO) estimates that there are 246 million people worldwide who have low
vision and 39 million people are blind, indicating that generally 14% of
people with visual impairments are blind and 86% have low vision."

--
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756