W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org > March 2016

Minutes: Low Vision Taskforce telecon 2 March 2016

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 11:13:11 -0600
Message-ID: <CA+=z1WnahOGwqMGeZeG3aqJTLjfqRqVt0EK4qqDEwCt_-m2inw@mail.gmail.com>
To: public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Low Vision Accessibility Task Force Teleconference 02 Mar 2016

See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-irc>
Attendees
Presentshawn, jeanne, Jim, Erich, JohnR, jon_avila, AWK, LauraRegretsshawn,
srini, erichChairJim & AndrewScribeWayne
Contents

   - Topics <https://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#agenda>
      1. Point of Regard - Others?
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#item01>
      2. Contrast & Image accessibility
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#item02>
      3. Work with User Settings
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#item03>
      4. Point of Regard - Others?
      <https://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#item04>
   - Summary of Action Items
   <https://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
   - Summary of Resolutions
   <https://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

------------------------------

<laura> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/Scribe_List

scribe Wayne

<scribe> scribe: Wayne

zakim next item

zakim next topic

<AWK> +AWK
Point of Regard - Others?

<AWK> +Laura

<AWK> +Jeanne

<allanj> open item 1
Contrast & Image accessibility

<allanj>
https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/LVTF_Open_Issues#Contrast_.26_Image_accessibility

AWK: Text is clear and easier to resolve. But really rich images is quite
difficult. My hope is provide flexibility without it being overwhelmin also
be effective.
... We have freedom in setting background and forground and not using color
for meaning. There are graphs with lots of color, there are so many extra
symbols. There is very complex data in quantititive graphs.
... opacity, complex symbolism. There needs to be room for inovation. Maybe
there is more. There just needs a way for users to unpack it all. Need is
all the information needs to be packed up.

<allanj> awk

<Zakim> allanj, you wanted to say icon fonts may fall in this area also

allanj: This brings up the icon discussions. Either image icons or unicode
icons. Can we address these without calling them out explicitly.
... The user just wants to see it.

<jon_avila> FYI I put my comments on the wiki

<AWK> Wayne: icons. Wayne likes to keep print large and icons small

<AWK> ... low contrast icons are a problem, especially ones that provide
directions to do something

<AWK> ... alistair made a good point that the meanings are not settled

<AWK> ... but having visible icons that don't take up real estate is
valuable

<jon_avila> IMO emojis are used to communicate human language and details
of emoji may be hard to see and need to be larger than text

jon: When difference in luminosity distinguishes luminosity. That is not
well address. Difference in contrast must meet the contrast threshold.
Complex maps. There are so many pattersn. Allow user to adjust to hide
data. Customizations that would benefit users with low
... and everyone.

<jon_avila> *ACTION:* jon avila to create user need for contrast
differences [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-37 - Avila to create user need for contrast
differences [on Jonathan Avila - due 2016-03-09].

AWK: Assume we are using color as the anchoring concept. Users can percieve
all important information conveyed using color.
... Not just images, but the core concept is (color?). The higher level is
users can perceive all information... dreilling down users can percieve
withoug relying on color. Add in other thatn color. A chart with a ping ...
I'll use something other than color. A lot will be dynamic. There must be
different approaches.

don't lose Jon's luminosity.

<jon_avila> User Need: When differences in luminosity are used to
communicate meaning including active, selection, and focus states, the
difference in luminosity is sufficient between different states or
additional means other than luminosity are used to communicate meaning.

<allanj> *ACTION:* jim to review 3.1 contrast/color user needs [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-38 - Review 3.1 contrast/color user needs [on Jim
Allan - due 2016-03-09].

<allanj> wayne: low vision users don't have access to @alt. use screen mag
software to get access to @alt not for magnification

<allanj> wayne: need some mechanism for @alt to be revealed on screen

<jeanne> The importance of UAAG 2.0

AWK: Is access to alt text a user need or user solution? I lean toward
solution.
... On complex graphs it may be alternative data, or may be access to
alt-text.

<allanj> user need access to content/data, attributes, some other mechanism
Work with User Settings

<allanj>
https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/LVTF_Open_Issues#Work_with_User_Settings

<jon_avila> Yes, this is very nice, good job

<allanj> wayne: can't delete items in with large text and large mouse, must
go to lesser magnification, to have access to the button.

AWK: If the enlargement tools could make the cursor go a way. If you
pressed an escape tool.

JohnR: Have never seen what you are describing.

<allanj> awk: perhaps mouse size tools could have a way to drop the size to
normal, and then toggle back to expanded.

AWK: If the user had the information as to what is on the tip.

JohnR: Maybe it could be transparent.

<allanj> ja: seems a problem with mag tools. cannot make this happen with
large os mouse pointer...tool tips are always placed in a readable
location. Author, browser, and OS have no control over mag software.

<jon_avila> * have to step away for a minute

<JohnRochford> Clarification: By "it", I mean the "cursor" could be
transparent.

Obscured information or functionaity with enlarged pointers and text.

<allanj> next item

<scribe> *ACTION:* Craft user need on obscured perception and operability
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Error finding 'Craft'. You can review and register nicknames at <
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/track/users>.
Point of Regard - Others?

<allanj>
https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/LVTF_Open_Issues#Point_of_Regard_-_Others.3F

Allanj: Modify the excellent image.

<jon_avila> * back

Allanj: Associated user needs: Users know about and can access information.

AWK: There are areas that cannot work. The information can be to much to
fit. We need to modiry it so it does not have to fit into a 2cm circle.

<JohnRochford> Gotta go, folks.

allanj: There are thinks like tracks that take you to the objects.

<jon_avila> Section 508 refresh indicates 302.2 With Limited Vision. Where
a visual mode of operation is provided, ICT shall provide at least one mode
of operation that magnifies, one mode that that reduces the field of vision
required, and one mode that allows user control of contrast.

<allanj> wayne: lv person functions like a screen reader user. SR have 1
word at a time, LV user has limited view

<allanj> wayne: this is important, how to find stuff. many messages, alerts
are hidden.

<allanj> wayne: low vision users need similar information to SR users.

jon: 508 refresh has at least one mode that facilitate limited field of
view.

<allanj>
http://w3c.github.io/low-vision-a11y-tf/requirements.html#proximity-of-related-information

allanj: Are we covered. We are doing work on user settings. We are going to
do some work on other areas. Can we close this one.
... If we add in images can we close these can we close this.

<allanj> wayne: need image of table with fixed headers.

<allanj> ja: tv guide table with no headers,

allanj: May leave this one open.

rssagent, make minutes

trackbot, close meeting

<trackbot> Sorry, Wayne, I don't understand 'trackbot, close meeting'.
Please refer to <http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc> for help.

<allanj> wayne: or bus scheule

rssagent, make minutes

trackbot, end meeting
Summary of Action Items *[NEW]* *ACTION:* Craft user need on obscured
perception and operability [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#action03]
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* jim to review 3.1 contrast/color user needs [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#action02]
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* jon avila to create user need for contrast differences
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/03/02-lvtf-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions [End of minutes]

-- 
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator
Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/
"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
Received on Wednesday, 2 March 2016 17:13:41 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 16:23:18 UTC