Re: contrast article...interesting

Hi Jim and all,

Regarding the placeholder attribute, it is problematic. It shouldn't
be used as an alternative to a label. As HTML 5.1 [1] says it reduces
accessibility and usability for people with and without disabilities.

I've put together a Wiki page of references at:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/Placeholder_Research

The browser default contrast usually provides insufficient contrast.
This is why not too long ago the WCAG WG added Note 3 to the
Understanding doc. [2]

I am wondering if we need an SC to specifically say something such as:

"Placeholder text is not relied on for meaning. If it is used, it only
provides an input suggestion hint."

Then we could have a Failure Technique as well as a Technique that
uses a programmatic label and visually makes it appear as a
placeholder [3].

Kindest Regards,
Laura

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html51/semantics.html#the-placeholder-attribute