Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Jumping in a bit late. These are my thoughts not those of the Low Vision
Task Force.

First, if we change the underline color to #707070 (just a tad darker) and
it will pass with a contrast ratio of 5.0:1.

After a bit of research I could not find anything on contrast of only the
underlining of links.

But I did find lots of information on reading and links. They are included
below. Of note is the first study [1] using eye-tracking to see how we read
hyperlinked text. They tested with colored links (no underlines), including
grey hyperlinks.  Hyperlinks on "unfamilar" words caused rereading of
passages. Color of the hyperlink was not a factor, except grey. Hyperlinks
that had poor contrast (grey) caused rereading, because reduced contrast is
more difficult to process.

"Therefore efforts made in Web development to avoid using blue as the
hyperlink colour and instead using a different colour may have no positive
influence for the reader reading the text, but instead make it more
difficult for the reader to know what is a hyperlink when they are
expecting it to conform to the convention of hyperlinks being denoted in
blue....
A hyperlink is not just a salient word in a passage of text, it denotes
that more information that may be relevant lies behind that hyperlink....
These experiments have shown that coloured text does not hinder reading,
but also that hyperlinks can cause us to reread previous content if the
word is a low frequency/difficult word in order to re-evaluate the content.
The key lesson here is that Web designers should only hyperlink important
words in pages, taking extra caution with words that are uncommon or ones
that may be difficult to process.-
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/356635/1/On_Measuring_the_Impact_of_Hyperlinks_on_Reading2013.pdf

1. On measuring the impact of hyperlinks on reading (Fitzsimmons, 2013) -
paper
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/356635/1/On_Measuring_the_Impact_of_Hyperlinks_on_Reading2013.pdf
pdf of poster session -
http://www.gemmafitzsimmons.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/WebScience_OpenDay_On-Measuring-the-Impact-of-Hyperlinks-on-Reading.pdf

2. Guidelines for Visualizing links (Neilsen, 2004) -
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/guidelines-for-visualizing-links/

3. Should all links be Underlined (Martin, 2007) -
http://www.usability.gov/get-involved/blog/2007/05/underlining-links.html

4. Beyond Blue Links: Making Clickable Elements Recognizable (Loranger,
2015) -https://www.nngroup.com/articles/clickable-elements/

5. A Comparison of Link Readability Techniques (Graves, 2004)
http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~rhb/cs_seminar_2004/SessionD3/graves.pdf
<http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~rhb/cs_seminar_2004/SessionD3/graves.pd>

6. Comparing Link Marker Visualization Techniques – Changes in Reading
Behavior (Obendorf & Weinreich, 2003) -
https://vsis-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/getDoc.php/publications/119/www2003.pdf

Jim
​--
Jim Allan, Co-Chair Low Vision Task Force (W3C/WAI)
Accessibility Coordinator
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756

<http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/3566351/On_Measuring_the_Impact_of_Hyperlinks_on_Reading2013.pdf>

​