Low Vision doc -- Re: [wbs] response to 'EOWG Weekly Survey - 12 February 2016'

Andrew Arch via WBS Mailer wrote:
>> ---------------------------------
>> Accessibility Requirements for People with Low Vision - Before Draft
>> Publication
>> ----
>> Is there anything that is important to address before FPWD publication?
>>
>> If you put comments in GitHub, please label them "before FPWD".
>>
>   * ( ) I reviewed or skimmed it and do not see any issues that need to be
> addressed before it is published as a draft.
>   * (x) I reviewed it and put comments in GitHub that need to be addressed
> before it is published as a draft.

Did you mean to check the next option? :-)

>   * ( ) I reviewed it and put Comments below that need to be addressed
> before it is published as a draft.
>   * ( ) I have not yet gotten to it, and will by the date below.
>   * ( ) I will pass on commenting this time.
>
> Editors' discretion, but should be considered:
> 3.4.3 'rivers of 'white' issue should be split off and placed under 3.2
> consider cross referencing 3.4.6 with 3.6.2

Thanks for reviewing the doc, Andrew!

Rivers are primarily caused by full justification, afaik. It could be made worse by increased space between words. Are there other causes?

If a person has difficulty reading because of rivers, what could they do about it - in an ideal situation?
* undo full justification
* change the word wrapping / line length -- e.g., resize the text area width, or change the text size in a fixed width
* ? change from monospaced font to proportional font
* @@ anything else?

The issue of rivers is primarily within paragraphs, afaik. 3.4.6 and 3.6.2 are more about spacing around paragraphs (and other things) rather than spacing within paragraphs.

If you have any more info or references -- formal or informal -- to share to help the LVTF further understand the issue, we welcome them!

Best,
~Shawn