Re: Apologies

Hi Seb

I’ve been on a similar journey. Both bipolar and your search for this particular Rosetta Stone. I may have reached out to you earlier, apologies if I have.

I was going to offer this a personal reply but reconsidered. Perhaps, there is another lone wolf out there that wants to engage.

It’s a fascinating topic but one that seems not to resonate with members of the W3C. Nor many in enterprise, TBH. I hope your experience differs. I too believe that Enterprise use cases are compelling and with concerted effort would have driven funding, innovation and skill sets. Sadly, it didn’t happen and semantic web didn’t get the adoption and traction it deserved.

I’ve implemented many of these concepts too both in RDF/RDFS (I never upgraded to OWL) and also in code (Java). I ceased work on it about 10 years ago due to economic factors (feeding a family). The passion that once burned bright has now dimmed.

For EAI, I leveraged the patterns encoded in Apache Camel and found it effective. I also explored Lambda functions within an RDF graph (not AWS marketing term) as an attempt to create a symbolic computational graph - i suspect Wolfram Alpha has nailed it.

I employed an RDF graph (Using OpenRDF nee Sesame) combined with embedded and annotated CONSTRUCT queries (later SPIN) to create a graph-embedded transformational substrate that facilitated mapping between common data structures and industry standards such as Swagger/OpenAPI.

I mapped most JVM scripting languages - including AppleScript, VB, python and Ruby. It was cute. I also audited my documents, spreadsheets and PDF and augmented them with some naive NLP. I hooked up libpcap and mapped a few networks. In a vain attempt to create awareness of the environment the software operated in. A kind of semantic self-awareness.

I did go so far as to deploy an enterprise project controls system for a mid-size client using some of the ideas but my software engineers kept pushing to use their own approaches (SQL and static code) and I eventually caved and that diluted the implementation.

Many of the ideas and approaches are still part of my work today but the “graphs as a source of truth” for data and processing hasn’t seen the light of day in a decade. Maybe, one day I’ll revisit them.

Anyways if you want to chat, drop me a line. I would be fun to kick around these old ideas again and maybe dust off some code.

Stay safe

Lee Curtis
M: +61 415 125 747 | Skype: lee_curtis