Re: blank predicates

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 08:43, Patrick J Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> Generalized RDF allows blank nodes in relation position, so does N3 and
> also ISO Common Logic (all with the same semantics). The various
> suggestions to use a ’crap’ URI such as lio:relation can be seen as
> skolemizations of these bnodes in predicate position. There are independent
> reasons for using generalized RDF syntax in any case, since reasoning is
> incomplete without it. And it is pretty trivial to implement: it amounts to
> not performing some syntax checks that RDF requires.

Thanks Pat, so we could perhaps say 'crap URIs DO change' :P

So I like turtle and N3 alot.  I'd like to use this feature of N3, but am
probably going to serialize in turtle in the short term

This is exactly the information I wanted

If I have to use a 'crap' URI in turtle, I would want it to say "this is a
place holder for the equivalent N3 construct".  Could we make that in the
N3 community group perhaps?

I suppose nothing like that exists right now.  Would it maybe be a good
idea to collect the different suggestions and see which has mind share at
the moment?  Perhaps a straw poll.

Regarding reification, that's a nice idea.  I worry about (perhaps
perceived) added compleity in serialization and querying.

Seems a paradoxical problem.  There are too many ways to name the nameless
thing! :)