Re: Release of SAGE 1.0: a stable, responsive and unrestricted SPARQL query server

Hi.
Probably my last message :-)
And thanks for trying to help me understand, but... :-)

> On 9 Sep 2018, at 20:15, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
> On 9/9/18 1:07 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:

>> I still don't understand why you can't just download Sage and run SPARQL queries on it, and compare the performance with Virtuoso doing the same thing - surely that would enable you to test their claim?
>
> Because my point is that they don't understand what our "Anytime
> Feature" is and thus don't understand its relevance to the problem at
> hand i.e., ad-hoc SPARQL  query services published to the Web.
>
> We have many live instances that support our claims about the
> aforementioned capability. Thus, a "like for like" comparison has to
> offer a query endpoint that supports ad-hoc queries by anything (human
> or machine). Otherwise, what are we comparing?
>
> My demonstrable claim is simple:
> You can publish a SPARQL Query Service on the Web that allows ad-hoc
> SPARQL Queries from anywhere by humans or macnines.  If an alternative
> claims it can do better, then at the very least it should produce a
> comparable endpoint, right?
No, basically, it isn't.
Maybe if you had answered the question then I would understand better.

For example, when I built a garbage collector and wanted to evaluate it, I downloaded other similar systems, then set up an environment that was as controlled as possible, and ran experiments to compare them.
I then published the results in a paper.
That is typically the way research is done and reported.
And I certainly didn't go around berating the other researchers for not giving me access to their systems running in their labs.

If someone wanted to disagree with my results (or indeed wanted to undertake the scientific method task of verifying them by replication), then i would expect them to ask for my software and my data and experimental methods, etc, although hopefully all that would already be available to them as open source and in the publication.
It would not be normal for me to be expected to make my resources available to them to run their experiments in my lab.
And in fact it would be a bad way of doing things, as there may be things wrong with the way I was running the experiments that meant the results were invalid.
That is why real, independent repeatability is so important in research.

So I don't understand why you seem obsessed with the idea that these researchers should give you access to use their resources, when what you presumably want to do is repeat their experiments in your own environment and control, so you can be confident off the results.

Can you download their system? (Have I got that wrong? Is there some reason this can't be done?)
And then run you it on your resources?

As I say, thanks for trying.

Best
Hugh