Re: "undefined" URI scheme

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 11:55:30 +0100, Laura Morales <lauretas@mail.com> wrote:
> Full original thread here: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2018Nov/0000.html
>
> Since I was asked to redirect my request to the "RDF community" I'm
> posting here for comments, because I don't know if there is any
> official place to ask to.

Hi,

I'll have to agree with Martin J. Dürst and Graham Klyne
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2018Nov/0003.html> that
using a global URI scheme like in <undefined:sensor-1> would be asking
for accidental double-bookings and defy the purpose.

Blank nodes were in a way invented for this purpose, but are sadly
*not* allowed as properties in RDF, only in "generalized RDF":

    <https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718> _:favourite_food "Spaghetti" .

    _:favourite_food a rdf:Property ;
      rdfs:label "favourite food" .

Beyond requiring Generalized RDF the above has a problem that every use
of the property will be unique (e.g. it will not be Linked data)

You can of course use local identifiers like <#favourite_food> but then
again it would be local to each document.  You can gather these
user-provided properties in a user-local URI, e.g.

<http://example.com/user/1337/vocab#favourite_food>

Then each user can at some point further define what they mean by their
home-made proprties.

If you are for some reason not able to tie this to a domain name (e.g. a
distributed scheme where user types in an ad-hoc name) I would recommend
to use UUIDs.

    <https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718>
      <urn:uuid:0ef595e6-5d9f-469c-b351-8565a0b081dd> "Spaghetti" .

    <urn:uuid:0ef595e6-5d9f-469c-b351-8565a0b081dd> a rdf:Property ;
      rdfs:label "favourite food" .

The problem then is reduced to keeping track of these UUIDs for re-use
(e.g. an auto-complete list when a user types in "food")

I think a similar approach to "dynamic properties" is used in Graham's Annalist.
http://annalist.net/documents/tutorial/annalist-tutorial.html#_add_simple_fields_to_a_data_record

BTW, SKOS is probably a good starting point if the user also tries to
slightly organize such ad-hoc vocabularies in a non-ontological
manner <https://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/> but want to relate it to
existing terms e.g.:

<urn:uuid:0ef595e6-5d9f-469c-b351-8565a0b081dd>  a skos:Concept ;
  skos:prefLabel "favourite food" .
  skos:relatedMatch <https://schema.org/LikeAction> ;
  skos:broadMatch <http://purl.org/spar/cito/likes> .

As you've here used global UUIDs "anyone" can provide such a mapping
later, which I think touches on what you were considering in your
original email.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
The University of Manchester