RE: Examples of applications built on LOD

Hi,

In Finland, a series of cultural heritage "Sampo" semantic portals  based on LOD and SPARQL endpoints are widely used at the moment also by 'the average man / woman':

"BookSampo - Finnish Fiction Literature on the Semantic Web (2011-)" http://kirjasampo.fi had in 2017 ca 2 million users making it a key portal of the Public Libraries in Finland.
The system is based on academic research and publications reported here https://seco.cs.aalto.fi/applications/kirjasampo/ but is nowadays fully maintained by the Public Libraries.

"WarSampo - Finnish World War II on the Semantic Web" (2015-)" http://sotasampo.fi had in 2017 130 000 users, and is based on data linked from the National Archives of Finland, Defense Force archives and other sources. The system is based on academic research and publications reported here https://seco.cs.aalto.fi/projects/sotasampo/en/.

"BiographySampo - Finnish Life Stories of the Semantic Web" (2018-) http://biografiasampo.fi was released a month ago and is based on a knowledge graph extracted automatically from 13 000 biographies of the Finnish Literature Society (FLS), including the National Biography, and interlinked with 13 other external data sources. We expect a lot of users for BiographySampo, since the traditional biography system of FLS, using the same biographies, has 300 000 users in a year, BiographySampo provides much more intelligent services for the user (7 different application perspectives), and the biographies of FLS in BiographySampo are not anymore behind a pay wall but are openly available in this portal. The system is based on academic research and publications reported here https://seco.cs.aalto.fi/projects/biografiasampo/en/ .

Best regards – terveisin

Eero
Prof. Eero Hyvönen, Director
Helsinki Centre for Digital Humanities (HELDIG)
University of Helsinki and Aalto University
phone:  +358 50 384 1618
Heldig: Room A131, Metsätalo, Unioninkatu 40, Helsinki, http://heldig.fi

Aalto: Room B128, Konemiehentie 2, Espoo, http://seco.cs.aalto.fi/
Homepage: http://seco.cs.aalto.fi/u/eahyvone/

New book: E. Hyvönen: Semantic Web. Handbook of Linked Open Data (in Finnish). Gaudeamus, 2018.
https://www.gaudeamus.fi/semanttinen-web/