Re: IOS Press Launches Linked Data Portal

On 04/10/2018 03:51 AM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> Congrats!
>
>> I am very glad to report that IOS Press went all in on Linked Data as backbone for their internal data management and sharing.
> Any details on how you are doing this?
> Do you have a CMS on top of a triplestore?

I am not sure how much I am supposed to go into details, but I guess
what I can say is that given that IOS Press has been around for 40
years, they deal with a very diverse set of metadata (formats). Even
today, different types of publications, e.g., book chapters versus
journals, result in metadata in different formats. Within the Linked
Data community, we often also think of breaking up data silos /across/
data providers such as IOS Press and other publishers. However, the
current situation is more dire as companies have to break up silos
/within/ their own organization first. In many ways, each journal (and
there are many of them) is its own silo which means that you cannot
easily connect authors across different outlets such as the Semantic Web
journal and the Data Semantics journal despite them sharing an
overlapping audience. IOS Press is moving towards using RDF-based Linked
Data for their internal as well as external workflows.

--
Krzysztof Janowicz

4830 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/