intuitive interfaces

Hi All,

I have been having some good successes with the ImageSnippets
(http://www.imagesnippets.com) interface - designed for non-RDF techs.

Since my software is about describing images with linked data, I get a
mix of users and institutions who generally know nothing about linked
data or RDF.

A number of users can use the software without any training. But I can
train users to use the basics of our relations in about 5 minutes and
many of them become quite proficient at becoming 'triple-taggers' after
using the system for about 15 minutes. We keep making it quicker and
easier for users to look up entities in existing datasets like:
DBpedia, Yago and Getty's Art & Architecture Thesaurus. Additionally, we
use DBpedia's auto-entity extractor to find terms easily that users can
map with a relation as part of a triple and we can even consult Clarifai
and Cloudsight to see how they 'see' the image and then allow users to
map those terms with relations in triples as well.

In one of my on-going research projects with IS, I have upload groups of
images based on collections of 3 ambiguous keyword terms from the
yahoo-flickr collection (i.e. :  train/railroad/bridge --- or:
water/boat/island)  and I have a team of  'triple taggers', who review
these images and build triple tags from looking at the photos and
deciding what relations will work best with the keywords.

In another research project, we are working with subject matter experts
to use the tool for ontology engineering from looking at photos.

This requires an advanced level of triple-tagging that is taught to the
triple-taggers as a 'level 2' since we can also create new types and
entities within the tool when items don't exist in an existing dataset -
and it requires a little more skill to know how and when this should be
done.

In a 3rd project, we now have a word-press plug-in gallery that allows
you to design dynamic web galleries pulling SPARQL queries on a schedule
or on-demand from the RDF data in ImageSnippets.
http://www.margaretwarren.us/junkyard-art is an example.  - All of the
metadata is pulled from the triple-store and included on the remote site
as JSON-LD as well as linked back to the original html + RDFa file.

All of this is done relatively affordably and for the most part,
consistently and produces some fairly clean data.

Margaret Warren