Re: How to link to Companies House (UK) data?

On 13/01/2017 17:47, Stuart Williams wrote:
> Hello Matt,
>
> As others have said, the predicate you choose depends very much on the
> relationship your trying to make between your 'my:object' and  some
> company.
>
> Here's a concrete example of something other that relates bathing
> waters (beachs/rivers/lakes etc.) to the organisations that are
> responsible for sewerage in the locale of that bathing water.
>
> http://environment.data.gov.uk/doc/bathing-water/ukc2102-03600.ttl
>
> which includes the following triples - modulo namespaces.
>
>     bw:ukc2102-03600  a def-bw:CoastalBathingWater , def-bw:BathingWater ;
>             def-bw:appointedSewerageUndertaker
>     <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/02366703> ;
>             skos:prefLabel                  "Spittal"@en .
>
>     <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/02366703>
>             chterms:companyProfile
>     <http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/profile/02366703> ;
>             skos:prefLabel          "Northumbrian Water Limited"@en .
>
> We could have used a weaker predicate than chterms:companyProfile like
> rdfs:seeAlso which would at best suggests that publisher of this data
> thinks you might also be interested in whatever comes back from
> <http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/profile/02366703> without
> setting any expectation over its form.
Hi Stuart,

Thank you. This looks very close to what I want.  I have a couple more
questions.

A property
<http://environment.data.gov.uk/def/bathing-water/appointedSewerageUndertaker>
has been defined specifically for this purpose. I understand that one
reason for doing so is that there is a specific role played by this
company - that of being the appointed sewerage undertaker - and there
may be other companies, with different roles associated with this
particular piece of bathing water. My situation is slightly different in
that for each instance of my:Thing, there can be either zero or one
registrations with Companies House, and that registration is of the
legal form of that instance of my:Thing. So, I am wondering if I can
simply have:

    my:instanceOfThing chterms:companyProfile
    <http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/profile/99999999>. [1]

BUT ... I see in the comment for
http://business.data.gov.uk/companies/def/terms/companyProfile:

    "An open-domained, object valued property used to associate parts of
    a CompanyProfile (AccountsSchedule, ReturnsSchedule, Mortgages,
    LimitedPartnerships, PreviousNames) with the profile of which they
    are a part. It is also used to associate a RegisteredComany with its
    CompanyProfile."

On the one hand, it is open-domained, which I assume means that nothing
can be inferred about the type of my:instanceOfThing from it being used
in the triple [1], which is good. On the other hand, the comment
mentions only that it is used to associate the parts of the profile
(including RegisteredCompany) with the profile of which they are part.
That is exactly how it is used in the bathing waters example, but not in
the triple [1]. Of course, the comment does not say that it is used
/only/ in that way, so maybe I should go ahead an use it as in [1].
Would I be misusing the property if I did that, or should I define a new
property with the domain my:Thing to provide links to the Companies
House profile?

Incidentally, I was curious to see the definition of this
<http://environment.data.gov.uk/def/bathing-water/appointedSewerageUndertaker>,
but I can't find it in
http://environment.data.gov.uk/sources/def/bathing-water.ttl

I am also considering the using the rov:hasRegisteredOrganization (see
https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-regorg/#ref_rov_hasRegOrg) property like this:

    my:instanceOfThing rov:hasRegisteredOrganization
    <http://business.data.gov.uk/id/company/99999999> .

As I understand it this would have the side effect of asserting that
my:instanceOfThing is a dcterms:Agent, but that should be OK as the
description of dcterms:Agent looks 'harmless': " A resource that acts or
has the power to act. Examples of Agent include person, organization,
and software agent." I'd be very interested to hear any views on how
these two approaches (rov:hasRegisteredOrganization and
chterms:companyProfile) compare.

--
Matt Wallis
Institute for Solidarity Economics