RE: Profiles in Linked Data

Mark,

But then how do I show that all descriptions describe the same entity? What I want to describe is http://example.org/some/resource. How do I tell a client that there are different descriptions of that entity available (schema.org, org ontology, foaf) and that each of those descriptions are available as xhtml+RDFa, RDF/XML and Turtle?

> To your mobile-optimized page example, I'd add that from a REST POV,
> that is a separate resource because representations are consistently
> different (aka they have different membership functions).

OK, so that means that when I return representations for a generic resource, all representations need to have the same scope (or the same membership function, assuming that we talk about the same thing... [1]). I can understand that it in a way makes things easier. OTOH at least some sites look at the User-Agent header and redirect to a mobile-optimised if they assume that it is the best format for the client (one example being http://www.spiegel.de/ that redirects to http://m.spiegel.de/ when accessed from a mobile phone). Isn't that also a kind of conneg, or should we speak of profile negotiation or format negotiation?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Membership_function_%28mathematics%29

Apologies to all if I seem enervating, I'm just trying to understand how all of this works (or is supposed to work...).

Best,

Lars