Re: Profiles in Linked Data

On 5/7/15 11:22 AM, Svensson, Lars wrote:
> On Thursday, May 07, 2015 4:16 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 5/7/15 5:08 AM, Svensson, Lars wrote:
>>
>> What behavior characteristics are being signaled by the "profile" relation
>> embedded in HTTP response metadata?  Here's what I suspect you are
>> implying:
>>

>> Request:
>> GET /resource/Linked_data HTTP 1.1
>> Accept: text/turtle
>> Link: <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this>; rel="profile"
>> Response
>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> Vary: Accept, Link
>> Link: <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this>; rel=profile
>>
>> Implies:
>>
>> The document content retrieved is in RDF-Turtle form, and by way of "profile"
>> relation a user agent should assume that it adheres to the principles outlined by
>> the concept identified by <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this> .
> Term clarification: My notion of profile is what the Dublin Core community calls an Application Profile [1], in this particular case it's a description telling a consumer what (RDF) classes and properties are used to describe a resource [2], similar to the RDF data shapes [3]. I'm not sure the linked data principles count as such a profile.

Of course they do, otherwise the document containing the meme wouldn't
exist.

RDF mandates the use of IRIs for entity denotation. That doesn't imply
HTTP URIs. Out in the wild, there are lots of RDF documents that don't
adhere to the principles outlined in TimBL's meme. That's why he had to
craft the meme.

Remember, XML basically blurred the lines of what an HTTP URI is about
by its proliferation of HTTP URIs that didn't resolve i.e., you had
denotation without connotation (what you get with identification by way
of name->description-document based indirection).

You can also look at the HTTP URI issue from the REST perspective, in
that worldview HTTP URIs only identify Web Resources i.e., documents.
Net effect, the fundamental duality of an HTTP URI is again blurred, and
the basis for endless debates.

Thus, a "profile" relation that is resolved (via our heads) to a
document [written in English] in an IANA hosted doc on the Web could
serve as a bridge across these world views, sorta.

>> Bearing in mind:
>>
>> <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this>
>> is schema:about of <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData> .
>>
>> OR (in purer Turtle):
>>
>> <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData>
>> schema:about <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this> .
> I agree with the statements but cannot quite follow what you want to tell me.

Explained using nanotation [1][2] i.e. actual RDF-Turtle notation based
digital sentences that can be used to create structured data islands,
that conform with Linked Open Data principles, wherever you can insert
"text/plain" content:

{

@prefix  xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .
@prefix rdf:  <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix sioc: <http://rdfs.org/sioc/ns#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix dcterms: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> .
@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
@prefix schema: <http://schema.org/> .
@prefix owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
@prefix gr: <http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#> .
@prefix skos: <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#> .
@prefix wdrs: <http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#> .
@prefix vocab: <http://rdf.ontology2.com/vocab#> .
@prefix oplmkt: <http://www.openlinksw.com/ontology/market#> .
@prefix oplstocks: <http://www.openlinksw.com/ontology/stocks#> .
@prefix dbpedia:   <http://dbpedia.org/resource/> .
@prefix xhv: <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#> .

<#kiComment-1>
a schema:Comment ;
rdfs:label "Description of a Comment" ;
schema:about
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2015May/0053.html> ;
schema:author <#i> ;
rdfs:comment """Attempting to demonstrate how the description of a
Comment can be made comprehensible to both a human and a machine
                 via the use of RDF Language based sentences using
Turtle notation.
              """ ;
dcterms:description """
                         I, 'Kingsley Idehen' states that TimBL's
document identified by the HTTP URI/URL:
<http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData>,
                         describes 'Linked Data' [a concept] identified
by the HTTP URI <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this>. The
aforementioned
                         concept is a specific use of RDF Language
whereby the subject, predicate, and objects of statements/sentences are
identified
                         [denoted and conoted] using HTTP URIs.
                     """ ;
schema:mentions <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData>,
<http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this>,
                 [a foaf:Person; foaf:nick "timbl"; owl:sameAs <#timbl>
], <#i>,
                 [a foaf:Person; foaf:name "Kingsley Idehen"; owl:sameAs
<#i>] ;
skos:related
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2015May/0034.html> ;
is schema:about of <> .

<http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData>
a schema:WebPage ;
rdfs:label "TimBL's Linked Data Meme Document" ;
rdfs:comment """Meme the introduces Linked Data as a specific
application of RDF whereby HTTP URIs
                 are used to identify the subject, predicate, and object
of an RDF Language sentence.""" ;
schema:about <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this> ;
schema:author <#timbl> .

<http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this>
a skos:Concept;
rdfs:label "Linked Data Concept" ;
rdf:comment "Fundamental Web Concept re., use of HTTP URIs to identify
entities [things, resources]" ;
is schema:about of <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData>,
<http://bit.ly/evidence-that-the-world-wide-web-was-based-on-linked-data-from-inception>,

                    <> .

<#timbl>
a foaf:Person;
foaf:nick "timbl";
owl:sameAs <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i>,
            <https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i> .

<#i>
a foaf:Person ;
foaf:nick "kidehen";
owl:sameAs <http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this> .

<http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this>
owl:sameAs dbpedia:Linked_data .

}

>> I am walking through this piecemeal, because I've circled this wagon a few
>> times in other quarters (typically in forums such as LDP [most recent
>> occurrence]) [1].
>>
>> CON:
>> Basically, if what I've outlined is accurate, we've ended up adding a signal (via
>> HTTP request and response metadata) to indicate what's implicit re., AWWW
>> (Architecture of the World Wide Web) i.e., that HTTP URIs are Name that
>> resolve to descriptions of what they denote (i.e., an HTTP URI has a denotation
>> and connotation duality that enables them function as Terms).
>>
>> PRO:
>> Anyway, countering myself [as I type], I've also realized that when the Content-
>> Type is one of those associated with the RDF Language, we could look to this
>> "profile" relation as a mechanism for a user agent to signal that the RDF
>> Language based content requested has to conform to the principles associated
>> with the concept identified by
>> <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this>. And likewise, a server can
>> return content also using "profile" to indicate that said RDF content is in RDF-
>> Turtle form, and conforms to the principles associated with the concept
>> identified by <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData#this>.
> Well, no. This is not what I try to achieve. It's really about negotiating application profiles/data shapes.

Okay, so please paste a representation of the profile you have in mind.
Note, I am not asking for English prose here. I am requesting data
representation that can be processed by both humans (not solely for an
English Language speaker) and machines [that understand entity
relationships and relation semantics].

> [1] http://dublincore.org/documents/profile-guidelines/
> [2] http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php?title=RDF-Application-Profiles
> [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Best,
>
> Lars

Conclusion:

A "profile" relation hint added to HTTP request/response can provide the
a bridge between the architectural reality of the Web (i.e., HTTP URIs
are an entity naming/identification mechanism) and its many fragmented
interpretations out in the field. Basically, it can be used to indicate
the nature of URIs used to construct sentences [data / content] in RDF
documents.

Links:

[1] http://kidehen.blogspot.com/2014/07/nanotation.html -- About Nanotation

[2] http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9BVSYPBT -- A version of the
RDF-Turtle statements embedded in this post

[2]
http://kingsley.idehen.net/DAV/home/kidehen/Public/Linked%20Data%20Documents/Tutorials/lod-list-sample-re-linked-data-meme.ttl
-- Ditto served up from another Web location .

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com