Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] [Dbpedia-ontology] Advancing the DBpedia ontology

The one thing I would say is that while I agree in general...the one thing that keeps eating away at me is that there is tremendous potential in dbpedia for bigger questions to be answered, but the more advanced analytics require that some level of sanity exists within the ontology...much more so than now.  As an example, I have created several different applications for customers that are based on dbpedia...one of which is a recommender system.  The level of effort required to simply say (in SPARQL, of course) "show me every living person that is highly similar to person X, excluding politicians athletes and actors" is quite a tedious thing to do until after I have "fixed" all the erroneous and missing properties associated with "things" in general...which person class do I focus on?  Which living people?  Which politicians?  Perhaps legislators?  It gets pretty ugly, pretty quickly.

I'm not sure that the ontology needs to be completely rewritten, but surely it can't be that difficult to clean up a bit with a little common sense logic applied such as if a "thing" has a death date (never mind which one), then surely they are not a living person...or if they hold a political office, surely they must be a politician.

Aaron