Re: "Microsoft Access" for RDF?

On 2/19/15 1:40 PM, Bo Ferri wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> maybe I'm wrong, but I think what you are generally looking for (in
> the Semantic Web world) is the things that are going on at RDF Shapes
> group [1], or (but I guess you are aware of them)? What they can't do
> (yet; afaik) is the "family instance loop check", or?
>
> On 2/18/2015 11:59 PM, Paul Houle wrote:
>> For small projects you don't need access controls,  provenance and that
>> kind of thing,  but if you were trying to run something like Freebase
>> and Wikidata where you know what the algebra is the obvious thing to do
>> is use RDF* and SPARQL*.
>
> No, why? - Wikidata's data model goes beyond RDF (triple based
> statements) for good reason. I'm always wondering why the heck we
> "true" Semantic Web developer still insist so hard on our beloved RDF
> (which all its drawbacks).

Huh?

> Look forward. Think property graph and graph databases in general ;)
What?

> You can also combine both perfectly, see, e.g., this graph data model
> [3] - RDF compatible, but able to store qualified attributes (e.g.
> order or provenance) at statement basis (without reification et. al).

RDF is a Language, poorly promoted as a  Data Model (a term which is
ultimately a can of worms, exemplified by all the confusion its
inflicted on everyone to date).

> Re. editing of graph information, you may have a look at OrientDB's
> graph editor [4], which offers neat editing options direct in the
> graph (yay!).

Seriously?

I do not know of a single so-called "Graph Database" that even
comprehends the concept of data de-silo-fication [1][2][3][4].
Basically, for data to flow it can only do so via identifiers that
resolve to descriptions using a platform agnostic protocol.

Data is represented using relations [5][6].

RDF is a Data Representation Language [7].

Links:

[1] https://www.pinterest.com/pin/389561436492223291/ -- What sits
between You and Your data
[2] http://twitter.com/kidehen/status/567723528318124033 -- Open
Database Connectivity vs Open Data Connectivity
[3]
http://kidehen.blogspot.com/2014/08/linked-local-data-lld-and-linked-open.html
-- Linked Local Data vs Linked Open Data
[4] https://www.pinterest.com/pin/389561436493662240/ -- What RDF is
about, illustrated (as they say: a picture speaks a thousand words)
[5] http://twitter.com/kidehen/status/568462066207625216 -- What is a
Relation?
[6] http://twitter.com/kidehen/status/568461114129956864 -- What is a
Predicate?