Re: "Microsoft Access" for RDF?

Hello Paul,

I am not so sure if this is good enough. If you add something to the end of a
list in a UI, you normally expect it to stay there. If you accept that it
will be put in its proper position later, you may - as user - still have
trouble figuring out where that position is (even with the heuristics you gave).

The problem repeats with the triple object if the properties have been ordered.
As user, you might feel even more compelled to introduce a deviant ordering on
this level.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 09:07:37AM -0500, Paul Houle wrote:
> There are quite a few simple heuristics that will give "good enough"
> results,  consider for instance:
>
> (1) order predicates by alphabetical order (by rdfs:label or by localname
> or the whole URL)
> (2) order predicates by some numerical property given by a custom predicate
> in the schema
> (3) order predicates by the type of the domain alphabetically, and then
> order by the name of the predicates
> (4) work out the partial ordering of types by inheritance so "Person" winds
> up at the top and "Actor" shows up below that
>
> Freebase does something like (4) and that is "good enough".
>
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 8:01 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 2/19/15 4:52 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Paul,
> >>
> >> an interesting aspect of such a system is the ordering of triples - even
> >> if you restrict editing to one subject. Either the order is predefined
> >> and the
> >> user will have to search for his new triple after doing an insert or the
> >> user
> >> determines the position of his new triple.
> >>
> >> In the latter case, the app developer will want to use something like
> >> reification - at least internally. This is the point when the app
> >> developer
> >> and the Semantic Web expert start to disagree ;-)
> >>

> > Not really, in regards to "Semantic Web expert starting to disagree" per
> > se. You can order by Predicate or use Reification.
> >
> > When designing our RDF Editor, we took the route of breaking things down
> > as follows:
> >
> > Book (Named Graph Collection e.g. in a Quad Store or service that
> > understands LDP Containers etc..)  --> (contains) --> Pages (Named Graphs)
> > -- Paragraphs (RDF Sentence/Statement Collections).
> >
> > The Sentence/Statement Collections are the key item, you are honing into,
> > and yes, it boils down to:
> >
> > 1. Grouping sentences/statements by predicate per named graph to create a
> > paragraph
> > 2. Grouping sentences by way of reification where each sentence is
> > identified and described per named graph.
> >
> > Rather that pit one approach against the other, we simply adopted both, as
> > options.
> >
> > Anyway, you raise a very important point that's generally overlooked.
> > Ignoring this fundamental point is a shortcut to hell for any editor that's
> > to be used in a multi-user setup, as you clearly understand :)
> >

> > Kingsley
> >

> >> Maybe they can compromise on a system with a separate named graph per
> >> triple
> >> (BTW what is the status of blank nodes shared between named graphs?).
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Michael Brunnbauer

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Kingsley Idehen
> > Founder & CEO
> > OpenLink Software
> [...]

++  netEstate GmbH
++  Geisenhausener Straße 11a
++  81379 München
++  Tel +49 89 32 19 77 80
++  Fax +49 89 32 19 77 89
++  E-Mail brunni@netestate.de
++  http://www.netestate.de/
++
++  Sitz: München, HRB Nr.142452 (Handelsregister B München)
++  USt-IdNr. DE221033342
++  Geschäftsführer: Michael Brunnbauer, Franz Brunnbauer
++  Prokurist: Dipl. Kfm. (Univ.) Markus Hendel