Re: How to model valid time of resource properties?

On 10/16/14 12:02 PM, Frans Knibbe | Geodan wrote:
> On 2014-10-15 14:59, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> [snip]
>> Frans,
>>
>> How about reified RDF statements?
>>
>> I think discounting RDF reification vocabulary is yet another act of
>> premature optimization, in regards to the Semantic Web meme :)
> Well, reification is mentioned in most of the texts that I have found
> on the subject so far. But it seems that of all possible approaches it
> is getting the worst press. In short, it is made out to be too
> complex, both in storage as in querying. I must admit that I am
> sensitive to that kind of talk, because I think simplicity should be a
> very important criterion in deciding which way of doing things is best.
>
> I guess the best way of finding out which method works best is to
> create a small test case and just try out everything...

Toss terms like reification etc.. in the bin (for a second) and simply
think about describing skills, events etc., in a time sensitive manner.
Simple example, accounting for all of your utternances at specific
points in time (my first example in this thread). Ultimately, you'll end
up with something that looks like a contract which is comprised of:

1. terms
2. clauses (reified sentences) -- a group of words that form a
constituent (subject, predicate, object) of a sentence and are
considered as a single unit

You may even want to initial or sign clauses in said contract etc..
Which is ultimately where digital signatures and WebID will be immensely
helpful.

There are many modelling scenarios that will soon emerge, as much of the
historic confusion around RDF vaporizes.

An immediate example that comes to mind is LinkedIn endorsements. Right
now, they reside in LinkedIn's data silo (and for now they have no
intention of making that data API accessible, for competitive reasons).
Thus, how would a Linked Open Data based description of skill-claims and
their endorsements be handled, modulo statement reification?

Reification as a problem is more to do with data management challenges
such as performance and scalability --  due to the fact one builds up
lots of additional data per RDF statement.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com