Re: SW/LD researchers groking LaTeX and HTML (Was vs Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper)

My list of questions was not the list of things that I don't know the
answer for, but a list of questions that I think people will ask (trying to
help you here with the FAQ).

I am confident that the easy things can be done in both languages with
similar ease, to answer the straw man you stood up with <p/> (by the way,
in LaTeX it's two line breaks). And even if it wasn't as easy - e.g. do we
have equivalent tooling to bibtex, cleveref, formulas, putting figures
automatically on top of pages (perhaps a parallax-like effect for
scientific paper figures), etc? people can learn anything they want  if one
convinces them nicely or shoves a truth down their throat in a way they
can't escape. On both counts, the FAQ.

This is a matter of inertia here. People use the things they've been using,
until there is enough external force to change direction. Example forces:
- it takes no effort to transition and one finds some free time to play
with it
- it is easier and saves time in the long run
- it produces more beautiful results
- it increases the reach of their paper
- it offers clear benefits that outweigh the costs
- it is mandated by some funding agency (did you try convincing the EC?)
- it is given special status in a conference
-etc

One opportunity that I think we have here is highlighting how easy it is to
move from one conference template to another. Resubmission is a reality for
most. In LaTeX there is always some little work to be done with
author/institution tags for example. A small thing, but a nice one.

We can also come up with more incentives. For example, keep adding papers
that follow Webby principles to a Web-accessible repo, and SEO the heck of
it so that having a paper there increases the reach of your message?

Or convince one conference chair to give a registration discount if a paper
author is sharing their writeup in a Webby format? OK, OK, the brainstorm
is going too wild. I'll stop.