Re: Linked Data Fragments: Web-scale querying

Hi Martynas,

On Wednesday 19 March 2014 12:58:15 Martynas Jusevičius wrote:
> Ruben,
>
> interesting stuff. I remember another project that does something like that:
> SQUIN http://squin.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

SQUIN implements a traversal-based query execution strategy that relies only
on the Linked Data publishing principles (i.e., the possibility to look up
HTTP URIs). Query processing approaches that have this property are typically
referred to as Linked Data query processing. If you want to get an overview on
these approaches, you may want to check out my recent survey [1].

> How does LDF compare to to it?

I understand LDF more as an alternative practice for publishing (Linked) data
on the Web. However, the primary purpose for proposing this practice (as Ruben
and his colleagues emphasize in their LDOW paper) his to facilitate
distributed querying without putting most of the burden on the servers.

So, the primary difference between querying LDFs and the aforementioned Linked
Data query processing is that querying LDFs is a form of distributed query
processing, that is, some part of the execution of a given user query is
distributed to LDF servers (which provide a limited form of query processing
functionality). In contrast, Linked Data query processing  is _not_ a form of
distributed query processing. Instead, for Linked Data query processing
approaches, the whole execution of a query happens within the Linked Data
query processing system (e.g., SQUIN), simply because these approaches do not
assume / rely on server-side query processing functionality (servers in this
setting are only required to answer URI lookup requests).

Cheers,
Olaf

[1] Olaf Hartig: An Overview on Execution Strategies for Linked Data Queries.
In Datenbankspektrum, 13(2) Jul. 2013.
http://olafhartig.de/files/Hartig_LDQueryExec_DBSpektrum2013_Preprint.pdf