Re: Is SPIN still a valid direction?

Isn't the issue that SPIN is supported only by a single vendor?  You should
either talk to them about it or develop a competitive implementation.

The old version of :BaseKB was derived by a process that used the in-memory
Jena models and I implemented as much of the processing that I could in by
writing SPARQL construct queries that would fill up new models with facts.
This is very much in the spirit of SPIN,  as if it were running in the
"sequential mode" which most rule engines support.

A concise example of this is here

https://github.com/paulhoule/infovore/blob/v1.0/hydroxide/src/main/java/com/ontology2/hydroxide/turtleTwo/ConstructTurtleTwoApp.java

As for what tools to use,  it's time to go back to the future and use tools
based on the predicate calculus,  FOL,  Modal logic and so forth.  The good
news is that these tools have improved greatly in recent years and they
also have a good track record in commercial use;  i.e. at least one of them
supervises every transaction you make at your bank.

--
Paul Houle
Expert on Freebase, DBpedia, Hadoop and RDF