Re: URIs within URIs

On 8/25/14 7:26 AM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> Hi Luca,
>
>> >I'm wondering however if*form URIs*  could themselves be resources
>> >rather than datasets.
> Sure, why not. They're just URIs.
>
>> >For example imagine the example from earlier:
>> >
>> >    <http://bar.com/?subject=http%3A%2F%2Ffoo.com%2Falice>  a void:Dataset .
>> >    <http://foo.com/alice>  <#some> <#data> .
>> >
>> >Instead of being a void:Dataset, the form URI could simply be a new
>> >URI someone defines with an owl:sameAs relation (or other outbound
>> >relationships) to the alice URI, such as:
>> >
>> >    <http://bar.com/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffoo.com%2Falice>  owl:sameAs
>> ><http://foo.com/alice>;
>> >                <#some> <#data> .
> We have to be careful with use/mentions though.
> Is bar.com… really Alice, or a document about Alice?
> And is foo.com/alice a document, or Alice?
>
> Only if both are Alice, the sameAs makes sense.
> If both are documents, they're probably not the same;
> if either is a person, then they're certainly not the same.
>
> [Note to readers: please don't restart httpRange-14 here.]
>
>> >I guess the differentiation between the two is a simple semantic
>> >formality. Can I link to triple pattern fragments datasets as if they
>> >were resources? Such as:<http://other.com/alice>  rdfs:seeAlso
>> ><http://bar.com/?subject=http%3A%2F%2Ffoo.com%2Falice>  . ?
> Absolutely. Note that similar constructs are already present in fragment representations:
>
> http://data.mmlab.be/mmlab?subject=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.mmlab.be%2Fpeople%2FRuben%2BVerborgh
>
> contains
>
> <http://data.mmlab.be/people/Ruben+Verborgh>  rdfs:seeAlso<http://data.mmlab.be/mmlab?object=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.mmlab.be%2Fpeople%2FRuben%2BVerborgh>.
>
> (And note the difference between the person and the document.)

Without any need for *HttpRange-14 distraction* (or scare mongering),
simply lookup the following URI that denotes a Vapor Report:
<http://bit.ly/entity-denotation-and-connotation-via-rdf-relations-ruben-verborgh-fragment>
:-)

 From the JSON-LD document it concludes:
<http://data.mmlab.be/mmlab?object=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.mmlab.be%2Fpeople%2FRuben%2BVerborgh>
denotes a Web document.
<http://data.mmlab.be/people/Ruben+Verborgh> denotes an Entity described
by
<http://data.mmlab.be/mmlab?object=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.mmlab.be%2Fpeople%2FRuben%2BVerborgh>.

 From the Turtle document it concludes:
<http://data.mmlab.be/mmlab?object=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.mmlab.be%2Fpeople%2FRuben%2BVerborgh>
denotes a Web document.
<http://data.mmlab.be/people/Ruben+Verborgh> denotes an Entity described
by
<http://data.mmlab.be/mmlab?object=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.mmlab.be%2Fpeople%2FRuben%2BVerborgh>.

As per prior post in this thread, a relation (e.g., foaf:primaryTopic,
*dcterms:subject*, wdrs:describedby, vocab:defines, xhv:describes
etc..)  is used to *explicitly* (rather than *implicitly*) facilitate
the name->address indirection that characterizes an RDF based Linked
Data term, in the HTTP driven medium generally known as the World Wide Web.

Links:

[1] http://www.wikihow.com/Differentiate-Between-a-Term-and-a-Word

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software