Re: Alternative Linked Data principles

On 4/28/14 11:55 AM, Luca Matteis wrote:
> Thanks John but not really.
>
> I was specifically looking for research that wasn't based on protocols
> such as HTTP, URIs and RDF. But that is still in the field of
> achieving a global interconnected database.

I'll try:

de-referencing an identifier en route to a description (some system
specific representation of a data structure) at an address dates back to
the advent of computing.

For instance SQL RDBMS engines do this using keys (Primary, Foreign
etc..). The problem is that these identifiers are literals and
de-reference is an act of DBMS engine specific name->address
indirection. Which is why ever SQL RDBMS that only implements literals
based identifiers or DBMS specific reference types (as per ORDBMS
products of yore)  is a data silo vector ++

It's also why all applications developed using existing native (relative
to host OS and runtime combination) programming language are also data
silo vectors, since they also use local (or app specific) mechanisms for
name->address indirection and eventual structured data representation,
following de-reference.

In a sense, what John is saying to you is as follows:

HTTP URIs are identifiers that make all of the above webby i.e., no DBMS
specific name->address based indirection, no operating system +
programming language specific name->address based indirection, it all
just happens via HTTP URI based hyperlinks which are based on open
standards (i.e., platform agnostic).

The virtue described above is the kernel of the Web architecture. That's
what makes it tick. That's why we have a World Wide Web that's dexterous
enough to handle past, present, and future data access and integration
challenges without introducing platform specific data silos.

The novelty of HTTP URIs lies in their truly unique ability to enable
mass data de-silo-fication, at Web-scale.

I hope this helps.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i49_SNt4yfk -- Binky on Pointers
(names or "*") and Pointees (addresses "&")
[2] http://bit.ly/1rk0s76 -- Recent post about Oracle
data-de-silo-fication via HTTP URIs  (note: Green Links [local] vs Blue
Links [global] )

Kingsley

> I know webby standards are implemented so no need to reinvent the
> wheel, but I think it's healthy to look things from a different
> prospective; who knows maybe UDP works better for achieving federated
> queries. Or maybe triples aren't really the only way to represent the
> real world.
>
> Luca
>
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM, John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Luca, I think you are not asking quite the right question; I think
>> what you want to ask is whether the Linked Data Principles can be
>> applied to different...
>>
>> * entity identifiers...
>> * protocols with which to resolve and retrieve information about those entities
>> * protocols with which to retrieve manifestations of resources
>> associated with those named entities...
>> * file formats with which to serialize manifestations of resources...
>> * standards for modelling relationships between entities...
>>
>> The value of the Linked Data Principles as bound to "Webby" standards
>> is that they are specific and readily implemented; no make believe...
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Luca Matteis <lmatteis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The current Linked Data principles rely on specific standards and
>>> protocols such as HTTP, URIs and RDF/SPARQL. Because I think it's
>>> healthy to look at things from a different prospective, I was
>>> wondering whether the same idea of a global interlinked database (LOD
>>> cloud) was portrayed using other principles, perhaps based on
>>> different protocols and mechanisms.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Luca
>>>

>> --
>> John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
>> Deputy Director, Web Science Research Center
>> Tetherless World Constellation (RPI)
>> <http://tw.rpi.edu> <olyerickson@gmail.com>
>> Twitter & Skype: olyerickson

Founder & CEO