Re: Minimizing data volume

On 9-9-2013 16:48, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before using compression you might also make a decision about whether
> you need to represent all of this information as RDF in the first
> place.
>
> For example, rather than include the large geometries as literals, why
> not store them as separate documents and let clients fetch the
> geometries when needed, rather than as part of a SPARQL query?
>
> Geometries can be served using standard HTTP compression techniques
> and will benefit from caching.
>
> You can provide summary statistics (including size of the document,
> and properties of the described area, e.g. centroids) in the RDF to
> help address a few common requirements, allowing clients to only fetch
> the geometries they need, as they need them.
>
> This can greatly reduce the volume of data you have to store and
> provides clients with more flexibility.
>
> Cheers,
>
> L.

Yes, that is something to consider. Thanks for broadening my mind! I
think such an approach may be suited for certain kinds of high volume
data, like images or video. But I do have some doubts about its
effectiveness for geographical data:

1) In geographical data sets geometries typically have different sizes.
Some may be very big, others may be reasonably small. So where to draw
the limit?

2) When using SPARQL and RDF it is already possible to provide summary
statistics and leave it to the client to fetch the geometries if needed.
However, it is not standard practice to provide summaries like centroid,
bounding box or coordinate count for each geometry, but perhaps it
should be.

3) On the surface, this approach seems to add complexity to data
retrieval, for both clients and servers. Instead of one way of
publishing and getting data, there will be two ways.

4) Having to fetch geometries one at a time, instead of processing them
all from one data set, could complicate matters and also introduce some
loss of performance. I can imagine this method working well for things
like images, videos or files, because they are typically used one at a
time. But in many cases geometries should be available all at once, to
draw on a map for instance.

5) I think most geometries are stored as attribute data in relational
databases. Preprocessing them to make them available as separate files
can be done offline. But in other cases the geometries are transient,
they could be generated by a function in a query. The method should work
with performance gains in those cases too.

Regards,
Frans

--
*Geodan*