Re: How to publish SPARQL endpoint limits/metadata?

On 10/8/13 6:10 AM, Jerven Bolleman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would be very interested in seeing a standard way to extend the Service Description with
> "authentication", "limits" and some content statistics.
>
> What I mean with content statistics is instead of running
> SELECT DISTINCT ?type WHERE {[] a ?type}
>
> You look for void class partitions in the description of the named graphs in the service description.
>
> I tried to do this for beta.sparql.uniprot.org.
> Regards,
> Jerven

In the meantime, you could simply publish your extensions i.e., publish
a Turtle document that reflects these extensions to the standard service
description vocabulary. We can start putting this to use en route to
standardization. Personally, this is a practical way forward due to the
protracted nature of standardization.

Kingsley
> On Oct 8, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Barry Norton <barrynorton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Frans, SPARQL 1.1 introduced the notion of Service Descriptions [1]. Although these probably don't go far enough in the standard they are, I believe, extensible.
>>
>> Barry
>>

>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-service-description/
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Frans Knibbe | Geodan <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am experimenting with running SPARQL endpoints and I notice the need to impose some limits to prevent overloading/abuse. The easiest and I believe fairly common way to do that is to LIMIT the number of results that the endpoint will return for a single query.
>>
>> I now wonder how I can publish the fact that my SPARQL endpoint has a LIMIT and that is has a certain value.
>>
>> I have read the thread Public SPARQL endpoints:managing (mis)-use and communicating limits to users, but that seemed to be about how to communicate limits during querying. I would like to know if there is a way to communicate limits before querying is started.
>>
>> It seems to me that a logical place to publish a limit would be in the metadata of the SPARQL endpoint. Those metadata could contain all limits imposed on the endpoint, and perhaps other things like a SLA or a maintenance schedule... data that could help in the proper use of the endpoint by both software agents and human users.
>>
>> So perhaps my enquiry really is about a standard for publishing SPARQL endpoint metadata, and how to access them.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Frans
>>

>> --------------------------------------
>> Geodan