Re: ORCID no longer relevant?

On 3/12/13 12:48 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
> (Thanks anyone for helpful comments!)
>
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Alan Ruttenberg
> <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> >Not to be too much of a stickler, but that isn't a spec, and isn't a clear
>> >statement. For instance the scope of "unique" isn't clear, and I can, with
>> >little effort, imagine a scenario where that uniqueness means that no two
>> >researchers have the same identifier (but can have more than one), but they
>> >identify names, and that the "transparent" method is that they have
>> >equivalences among the names.
> Just to clarify ; ORCIDs are (at least now) claimed by authors
> themselves, so for instance me (as on
> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718  ) covers both publications by
> "Stian Soiland-Reyes" and my previous name "Stian Soiland" (which is
> listed as 'Also known as').
>
> Now unlike the various J Smith's, I'm quite lucky in that my new name
> is (so far!) unique in the world, but without ORCID there could be
> trouble ahead if my son (same initial S) would become a scientist.

Yes, so here is your controllable profile data which you can cut and
paste to a Web accessible location and be done re. basic Linked Data
deployment:

## Turtle ##

## which can be saved to a file and published to a Web accessible
location ##

## used foaf:primaryTopic instead of the less precise foaf:topic .

@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
@prefix owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .

<>
a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument ;
rdfs:seeAlso <http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718>;
foaf:primaryTopic <#i> .

<#i>
a foaf:Person;
owl:sameAs <http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718#this> ;
foaf:made <http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btm578>,
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2105-11-542>,
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/eScience.2011.22>.

## End ##

You can copy and paste the above (verbatim) to a file served up via
Dropbox, Amazon S3 etc..

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/MYLsMu -- DIY Linked Data Deployment via Dropbox .
2. http://bit.ly/MgSz3F -- Ditto via Amazon S3 bucket .