Re: ORCID no longer relevant?

Hi all. Thanks a bunch to @hvdsomp for highlighting this discussion on Twitter earlier.

Here's a collective response from the ORCID camp, which includes Laure (executive director), Laura (technical director),  Rob (lead developer), myself and others involved in day-to-day operations in one way or another.

First, on a purely technical level,  Stian's absolutely correct that the central ORCID systemis misbehaving by stating it's returning RDF, when it's actually responding with XML. I'll submit a bug report and try and push to get this fixed ASAP, to avoid further confusion. Actually, strike that: looks like Rob is already on it (see Github info below).

Second,  concerning RDF support more generally, we are aware that Linked Data interop is becoming increasingly important.  There have been  discussions around this topic within the ORCID project but, as noted earlier on this thread, there simply isn't bandwidth to address this need right now. ORCID plans to start working on RDF requirements later this year, and welcomes community input into the process.

Highly relevant to this, a major recent development is that ORCID's code is now open source and the community can participate in helping to address issues such as this one. More info here:

http://orcid.org/blog/2013/02/21/orcid-open-source
http://orcid.org/about/community/orcid-technical-community
https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source <-- for those who like to get straight to the business of coding!

Also, this just arrived from Github:

On 12.3.2013, at 17:47, Robert Peters <notifications@github.com> wrote:
> Subject: [ORCID-Source] Stop matching wild on wild card (#40)

> Pushing this out early just so external people can see what is going on.
>.
> 1) Still need to do some nginx work on production
> 2) Still need to do more integration testing.
> Or view, comment on, or merge it at:
> https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/pull/40

Hope this helps!

Don't hesitate to get in touch, either directly (Laure <l.haak@orcid.org>, Laura <l.paglione@orcid.org>, Rob <r.peters@orcid.org> or myself) or via the feedback/support website at http://support.orcid.org .

Best regards,

                Mummi

--
 Gudmundur A. Thorisson, PhD