Re: rNews RDFa in BBC News

On Jan 23, 2013, at 9:27 AM, Jeremy Tarling <jeremy.tarling@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I am working with BBC News on implementing some RDFa in article pages on
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news. rNews seems like the best candidate for us in
> terms of expressiveness and wider adoption, so I am thinking, as a first
> iteration, we will add something like this to article pages:
>
> <head prefix="rnews: http://iptc.org/std/rNews/2011-10-07#"
> resource="{published URL}"
> typeof="rnews:NewsItem">
> …
> </head>
>
> We are currently working on an internal project to identify the
> real-world concepts mentioned in our stories and associate them back
> with the published article; when this is available we will add the
> following:

> person/place/organisation}"/>
> person/place/organisation} "/>
>
> Separately we will publish the BBC GUIDs we have created for
> person/place/organisations with sameAs links towikidata/freebase/dbpedia.
>
> Does anyone see any problems with this approach?

<head prefix="rnews: http://iptc.org/std/rNews/2011-10-07#"
resource="{published URL}"
typeof="rnews:NewsItem">
<link property="rnews:thumbnailUrl" resource="{thumbnail URL}"/>
<link property="rnews:creator" resource="<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news>"/>
<link property="rnews:about" resource="{GUID for person/place/organisation}"/>
< link property="rnews:mentions" resource="{GUID for person/place/organisation} "/>
</head>

(Note, you could use @href instead of @resource, but technically the value range of @href is URL, not IRI, so a GUID (expressed as a URN) wouldn't be valid).

Of course, if the about and mentions properties DatatypeProperties rather than ObjectProperties, the use of <meta> and @content is fine, but you might want to consider providing an appropriate datatype with @datatype.

Gregg