Re: Outdated linkeddata.org website

On 4/30/13 12:51 PM, Luca Matteis wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Yes I have been discussing with Stéphane as well. Hopefully we can get
> things going.
>
> About the willingness to participate, if we make the system open
> enough (but with spam control) then we really don't need to be setting
> goals about the community's willingness to participate. It will create
> a spontaneous collaborative environment.
>
> That's why I favor a wiki system. But Drupal works very similarly to
> wikis, right? So no need to change the technology. Just more open and
> user-friendly signup system is enough for now.
>
> Luca

All,

Circa. 2013 we have Web Access Controls and verifiable Identity that
scales to the Web. Basically, these are applications of the very
technology we are encouraging the world to explore and implement. If we
don't use these technologies ourselves why should be in any position to
ask others to use this technology.

Here's what we have:

1. WebID -- HTTP URI that denotes Agents

2. WebID Profile Document -- the content of this document describes an
entity denoted by a WebID

3. An X.509 Certificate that includes a WebID in its Subject Alternative
Name slot -- this is for all intents and purposes a local profile graph
installed to a secure location on your machine, alongside an associated
private key that's paired with said certificate's public key

4. WebID+TLS -- uses RDF based entity relationship semantics and PKI to
authenticate a WebID

5. Web Access Control Ontology -- describes resource access controls.

How do you make it work hassle free?

1. Get a WebID from an WebID Identity Provider -- there are several (a
WebID supporting IdP will take the tedium out of steps 1-4 above)
2. Use a content management system that supports resource access
controls based on the combined use of a WebID and the Web Access Control
Ontology -- there are a number of these around.

Tom: you know how to get a hold of me, so lets get this domain back to
what we aspired it would be circa. 2007 in Banff :-)

Links:

1. http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebID -- WebID Information Portal
2. http://id.myopenlink.net/certgen -- simple WebID generator
3. http://id.myopenlink.net/ods/webid_demo.html -- simple WebID verifier
2. http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebAccessControl  -- Web Access Controls.

Kingsley

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Tom Heath <tom.heath@theodi.org
> <mailto:tom.heath@theodi.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Yury, Luca, all,
>
>     There's a separate, off-list thread going on at the moment with
>     Stéphane Corlosquet, who has offered to help maintain the site (and
>     now has admin rights) -- thanks Stéphane!
>
>     You're right, the site is very stale. As I've said many times before,
>     I'm open to any suggestions about how to use the domain for the
>     greatest benefit of the community. So, all ideas welcomed, though they
>     have to include a willingness to participate and a plan for how to
>     actually get the work done on an ongoing basis. As history shows I'm
>     too busy right now to participate regularly :(
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Tom.
>

>     On 30 April 2013 14:28, Yury Katkov <katkov.juriy@gmail.com
>     <mailto:katkov.juriy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > It seems like the website is abandoned. It's strange that the
>     diagram is not
>     > developing as well: it is the most common Power Point slide in every
>     > Semantic Web-related presentation :)
>     > -----
>     > Yury Katkov, WikiVote
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Luca Matteis
>     <lmatteis@gmail.com <mailto:lmatteis@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Hello,
>     >>
>     >> I was wondering if we could make http://linkeddata.org/ a bit
>     more open &
>     >> community friendly. Currently I find its contents a bit
>     outdated. For
>     >> example, the Research page only contains content from 2009. I
>     think a
>     >> "Community" page is missing where we could have links to G+,
>     Twitter and IRC
>     >> communities. Also we could have a page for Meetups and
>     conferences around
>     >> LOD.
>     >>
>     >> I find the OpenID log in to be a bit unfriendly. There's many
>     people who
>     >> have never heard of this technology, and it is a bit
>     overwhelming to have to
>     >> copy & paste an OpenID url in order to log in to the website.
>     >>
>     >> Tom Heath seems to be the administrator, so perhaps we can
>     discuss about a
>     >> better Wiki system for the site? Maybe Semantic Wiki ;)?
>     >>
>     >> Let me know what you think!
>     >>
>     >> Luca