From: Bo Ferri [zazi@smiy.org]
Sent: 27 April 2013 13:33
To: public-lod@w3.org
Subject: Re: Publication of scientific research

Hi all,

generally, it is really interesting to follow this discussion. I've
never been a friend of the cumbersome scientific research publishing way
(that's why there are no real scientific publications available from
myself - except the two theses that I wrote during my studies ;) ). So
I'm really looking forward to a more webby for doing this since ages.
When I wrote my final thesis in 2010/11 - I tried to publish as many
content (section excerpts, slides, ontologies, code, ... e.g. [3, 4, 5])
on the web from my theses as I could. For a starting point Wordpress and
Drupal are your friends (as Ivan already suggested). With semantic
annotation plugins á la RDFaCE [1] one could go even a step further.
Other plugins such as Angelo's Wordpress extension [2] can deliver the
metadata.
However, finally I wrote the thesis itself in LaTeX and published (also
on the Web, e.g., Mendeley or ResearchGate) as PDF, because I never
found a good LaTeX to HTML converter that could handle my latex document
in a satisfiable way. Fortunately, Authorea is exactly trying to do this
for me. So I'll give it try with my theses (with so many web references
inside ;) ) and let you know whether it is really able to handle a "real
world" LaTeX document.
At the end tools such as Authorea are the perfect bridge for the way we
are trying to go now by bringing scientific research publishing to the
present.

Cheers,

Bo

[1] http://rdface.aksw.org/