Re: SPARQL, philosophy n'stuff..

On 4/18/13 10:21 AM, Mark Baker wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Claus Stadler
> <cstadler@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
>> For example:
>> "Show me projects, corresponding partners in France and their amount of
>> funding". Whats missing in SemMap is just adding UI elements that add
>> sorting and aggregation to the generated SPARQL query. (Yes, Freebase can do
>> that too).
>>
>> Now show me how you would do that with a REST API ;)
> GET /projects?partners=fr&extrafields=funding HTTP/1.0
>
> along with a form and supporting declarative metadata describing the
> relationship between the two pages in play (the form and the result
> page from submitting the form).
>
> More generally, I think an old blog post of mine about REST and SPARQL
> is still bang-on about why we haven't, and won't ever, see SPARQL
> endpoints being anything other than a niche offered either by those
> who can afford to run such a service, or published privately to
> partners;
>
> http://www.markbaker.ca/blog/2006/08/sparql-useful-but-not-a-game-changer/
>
> The economics of publication are just drastically different between
> exposing a RESTful interface, and exposing a query language.
>
> Mark.

Mark,

I posted a response to your post.

SPARQL endpoints go beyond the limits of SQL. Federation isn't the
challenge it used to be. Same applies to aggregates and many other
aspects of SPARQL that were missing circa. 2006.

The global Web is a functional Data Space equipped with a declarative
query language based on the Web's architectural essence (URIs and HTTP).
It can work, and will work. The challenge is getting folks to hone in to
what possible circa. 2013 :-)

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com