Re: It is bad practice to consume Linked Data and not publish Linked Data

On 4/4/13 7:10 AM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
>> >So, sorry, I don't see where is the crime…
> Typical situation from a published file (that happened):
> uri:building-one uri:has-architect "Hugh Casson" .
> So all I can really do with this is print the name "Hugh Casson" on a page about the building.
> If there is also
> uri:building-two uri:has-architect "Hugh Casson" .
> I can only print the "Hugh Casson" twice - there is no connection between the actual architects.
> (A/The whole point of Semantic Web technologies is that we don't do risky things like assuming similar string resources identify the same implied real-world things.)
> Even if I have worked out that they are the same "Hugh Casson" agent, I have no simple way of representing or stating this.
> And of course if there is another triple:
> uri:building-three uri:has-architect "Hugh Casson Partners" .
> I am completely stuffed in terms of adding any value to the knowledge (other than asserting loads of triples to say what I want).
>
> Of course, the data was fine for the publisher - all they wanted to do was annotate the text in an html page with the name of the architect.
> Since they were new into Linked Data, it took me a little while to get across that other people might want to do other things (such as list all the buildings by architect).
>
> Strangely enough, I ran into this onhttp://data.semanticweb.org  a couple of days ago.
> The keywords for papers are:
> At the moment, pages such as
> http://data.semanticweb.org/conference/iswc/2012/paper/inuse-51
> have things like
> <dc:subject>Provenance</dc:subject>
> <dc:subject>Linked Data</dc:subject>
> and also
> <dcterms:subject>Linked Data</dcterms:subject>
>
> This means that I can't easily do linkage.
> I'm actually trying to find out if anyone currently loves the site and can fix it - does anyone know?:-)
>
> Cheers

When explaining Linked Data to my kids, I used puzzle pieces. I used the
edge-pieces as examples of literal objects (in a triple) and the
mutli-connector-pieces as URIs. This enabled them realize there's a big
difference between building a single jigsaw puzzle (a silo) and one
that's ultimately endless (a global Web) :-)

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen